The DCH Foundation was organized in September 1973. Since that time, approximately 150 community leaders have served on the Board of Directors. The DCH Foundation exists to support the health system’s mission, which is to provide the best possible healthcare to those served by the DCH Health System.
In 1923, the Tuscaloosa News pronounced Druid City Hospital (DCH) to be “the greatest achievement from a humanitarian viewpoint accomplished by the present generation.” The tradition of philanthropy in which DCH Health System is grounded has not changed since then – in fact, it has grown.
In 1990, The DCH Foundation was appointed to formally support the work of the health system by building relationships in the community that inspire the commitment and generosity of its citizens. Since that time, the Foundation has been responsible for putting many millions of philanthropic dollars to work on behalf of West Alabama’s healthcare through the health system.
As the system faces ever-increasing financial challenges from reimbursement, regulatory, and policy changes, the Foundation’s work becomes more critical. Every $100 donated to the system provides revenue for improvements that, if generated through clinical services, would require the system to provide $4,000 worth of services. This makes philanthropy a critical factor in the system’s ability to realize its vision: to be the best health system in the nation for patients to receive care, employees and volunteers to work and physicians to practice medicine.